1 You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with the wicked to act as a malicious witness. 2 You shall not follow a majority in wrongdoing; when you bear witness in a lawsuit, you shall not side with the majority so as to pervert justice; 3 nor shall you be partial to the poor in a lawsuit. 4 When you come upon your enemy’s ox or donkey going astray, you shall bring it back. 5 When you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under its burden and you would hold back from setting it free, you must help to set it free. 6 You shall not pervert the justice due to your poor in their lawsuits. 7 Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent and those in the right, for I will not acquit the guilty. 8 You shall take no bribe, for a bribe blinds the officials, and subverts the cause of those who are in the right. 9 You shall not oppress a resident alien; you know the heart of an alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.
[Scripture taken from the Common English Bible®, CEB® Copyright © 2010, 2011 by Common English Bible.™ Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.]
God’s people have a specific outlook on how to behave in society
- Don’t spread rumors.
- Don’t collude with the wicked, spreading malice.
- Don’t follow the crowd when they are going in the wrong direction.
- Don’t let majority opinion or favoritism warp the administration of justice.
- Have compassion even for those you call your enemies.
- Pay special attention to how the poor fare in the justice system.
- Stand up for what is right.
- Do not engage in bribery or other attempts to subvert righteousness.
- As a people who have been aliens, show compassion to immigrants in your midst